Thursday, February 25, 2010

Q&A

I thought this question may be appropriate to post:

A Reader Asked...
What is there that is a safe/functional work out while pregnant? I walk to and from school everyday, but I live in CO and we've had a lot of ice, so I'm afraid to run, I own a wii but I doubt it's effectiveness.. etc. It's not even so much for the working out aspect, but I miss the endorphins and the adrenaline lol. I just figured since you are a mom and a former personal trainer, you might have some good ideas.

Answer:

Here's my take on exercising while pregnant (and if you ask Doctor A, it will be different than Doctor B and so forth). You're pregnant, not debilitated. While pregnant I did everything I was doing before getting pregnant but modified when needed (before starting a new exercise program, check with a doctor). I even did my aerobics classes, spinning classes, ran for a while (until it felt uncomfortable), did p90X, etc. 

I did nothing with my back on the floor, so I modified my crunches on a Swiss ball, for instance. 
I limited my running, jumping and bouncing to slower and lower with LOTS of breaks.  Generally less impact is best but you are not limited to it.
More water intake, more breaks, especially when tired, lightheaded, or overheated. 
For obvious reasons, nothing on your stomach. 
No weights heavier than 25 pounds. 
Nothing that involves an object that can come toward your stomach (like tennis) or make you lose your balance or fall (bike, skating, etc). 
Nothing potentially dangerous (skiing). 
Swimming is the best because the weight of your baby floats in the water, and that helps your tired feet and back.
Most of all, listen to YOUR OWN body, and more than ever. Stop or alter it when you just don't feel right. Err on the side of "safe." But you don't have to be limited to walking by any means. 

A max 140 heart rate is a good suggestion that most docs and books tell you, but every doc I've spoken to tells me that they have to say that to cover their rear ends.  So, you can go higher but for lesser periods of time than you are used to. 

Just remember that if you do workout hard, you can feel flushed, lightheaded, dehydrated, and overheated much faster than when not pregnant. So beware and be careful. But don't be afraid to work hard.

I hope that helps.

2 comments: